Round 1 Match Details

Easts 32 (Lachlan Tanzer 2, David Georgiou, David Tyrrell, Blair Conlon, David Wood tries, Brent Kuskey 4/7 goals) def Western Districts 8 (Tino Vaasa, Lachlan Gowland tries, Ryan Corrie 0/1, Mataika Vatuvei 0/1 goals).
Easts did not so much win their Round 1 Colts match, as have it presented to them on a platter by a very disappointing Western Districts side at Langlands Park. A 50% completion rate, a 16-9 hammering in the penalties, and 2 players in the sin-bin for backchat was the sorry tale for the visitors, as the Tigers scored a 32-8 win. Wests started well and in fact led after 8 minutes when, off the back of a Chris Chaisty break, halfback Mataika Vatuvei put on a good ball for centre Tino Vaasa to crash over. Unfortunately for them, their next score was not to be till a minute from the end of the game, when lock Lachlan Gowland crossed wide out after the ball was spun wide from a penalty. In the interim, Easts scored 6 tries of their own. 3 each side of half-time to run out comfortable winners. Their first in the 19th minute was from a backline move when ex-Sprana player and Tiger winger Blair Conlon crossed. Five minutes later they were in again when 5/8 David Georgiou crossed after a good run by Lachlan Tanzer. It wasn't long before these two again figured in a scoring move with Georgiou putting Tanzer over with a great pass, with 2 conversions from captain Brent Kuskey giving the Tigers a 16-4 halftime lead. Six minutes after the break a penalty goal extended the lead to 14 points. Any chance of a Panther comeback were snuffed out when first Troy Giess, then Chris Chaisty were sin-binned for backchat , and Easts' lock Chris Woods took advantage of the 11 man defensive line to take his team to a 24-4 lead. Further tries to Lachlan Tanzer off a Dane Phillips grubber, and David Tyrell after another Tanzer break rounded off the home side's scoring. 
For the Tigers, halves Dane Phillips and David Georgiou played well, and fullback David Woods was strong under the high ball, and looked good in attack. Lachlan Tanzer coming off the bench was a standout in the forward, being involved in 4 tries, and Deacon Johnston was solid, with a 40m run, and a barnstorming run which sent Panthers' best Liam McDonald flying the highlights. Unfortunately his hands let him down a little, but he certainly lifted the side. Hooker and captain Brent Kuskey was solid, as was lock Chris Woods. Few of the Panthers played well, and apart from McDonald who worked very hard and defence, only hooker Dean Sheppard, and at times halfback Mataika Vatuvei caused the Easts side any problems. One of the "highlights" of the match was the roasting captain Chris Chaisty got from a woman spectator towards the end of the game - no doubt we'll hear a bit more about that on the Guestbook!
CHANGES: Easts: Tyrone Amundsen, Joshua Quarton out; Jordie Lenoy, Phil Faalelea in;
Wests: Khan Kelly out; Brett Zgrajewski in
STATS: Pens Easts 16-9; Scrums Wests 11-8; Completions Easts 28/44, Wests 16/32

Norths 36 (Israel Folau 3, Aidan Guerra 2, Lachlan Hompes, Scott Idec tries, Luke Samoa 4 goals) def Souths-Logan 14 (Adam Power. Antonio Winterstein, Matt Sepelini tries, Mase Laulu Togagae goal)
Souths-Logan only trailed Norths 16-10 at halftime but Norths, with young winger Israel Folau outstanding, stormed home to run out comfortable 36-14 winners.

Wynnum 30 (Ben Cronin 3, Robert Congoo 2, Luke Menhinnitt tries, Luke Menhinnitt 3/6 goals) def Tweed Heads 18 (Michael Keating, Daniel Wood, Zane McCarthy tries, Trent Iselin 3/3 goals).
Tweed Heads put up some stern resistance in their first appearance in South-East Division football, before going down 30-18 against the other Seagulls in the competition. Wynnum-Manly in an entertaining match at Kougari Oval. This game was certainly of higher quality than the earlier Easts-Wests game, and only some poor handling by both sides in the final 15 minutes dented what would have been very good completion rates for both sides. Tweed started well with big prop James Rix prominent, with a number of barnstorming runs, and it was somewhat against the run of play when fullback Ben Cronin scored the first of his hat-trick of tries to open the scoring for the home side in the 11th minute. This seemed to spark Tweed further and they scored the next two tries, the first to centre Michael Keatingfrom a well worked-wide ball on the 5th tackle, and the second when lock Zane McCarthy ran through some lax defence. Two fine conversions from Trent Iselin gave Tweed a 12-4 lead. Just before halftime Wynnum got back into the match, when hooker Robert Congoo caught the defence napping and dashed over under the posts from 30 metres out. Three minutes after the break, Wynnum were back in front when a seemingly innocuous kick through was spilled by Tweed replacement Daniel Wood and Ben Cronin pounced.  Only 5 minutes later Wood made up for his mistake, diving over from dummy half, with Iselin's conversion putting the visitors back in front 18-16. With twenty minutes remaining an upset was on the cards, but the home side lifted and three tries in 7 minutes by the home side sealed the match. Big centre Luke Menhinnitt was first to score off a great ball from Matt Smith. U17s Cronin and Congoo then scored their third and second tries respectively, the first from a good backline move, and the latter a fine individual effort from close to the line, resulting in the final scoreline of 30-18.
For Wynnum, the youngsters Cronin and Congoo were outstanding, Congoo in particular causing the Tweed defence all sorts of problems every time he touched the ball. Backrower Warren Jensen, Adam Mansay and Nathan Beckett all worked hard, and 5/8 Matt Smith, whilst having a quiter game by his standards, was a steadying influence in the midfield, and centres Luke Menhinnitt and Sam Moil were solid. For the losers, prop James Rix looks though he will cause opposition teams plenty of headaches, and hooker Harry Witt and lock Zane McCarthy never stopped trying. Trent Iselin was dangerous early, but injured his leg after 20 minutes, but despite playing on, was clearly hampered from that point on, and centre Michael Keating had a strong game.
CHANGES: Wynnum: As Programmed; Tweed: Dom Kingston, Josh Lee, TBA out, Daniel Wood, Adam Barry, Brad Smith in
STATS: Pens Wynnum 6-5; Scrums Wynnum 9-8; Completions Wynnum 20/32, Tweed 18/31

Burleigh 34 (Jack MacGougan 3, Casey Lyons 2, Marty Paulson, Ryan Wilson tries, Marty Paulson, M.Paratta, M.Herlihy goals) def Ipswich 4 (Wade Watson try)
Wind, sun and rain were the most reliable thing at Pizzey Park today. As their opening game of the season, both teams were eager to please. Burleigh started off well on the back of Ipswich errors and some good ball movement, saw Casey Lyons score out wide after 4 minutes. They followed shortly after, again from an Ipswich turnover with a try to Marty Paulson and with both tries unconverted, took an 8 – 0 lead after as many minutes. Continual drop ball dented any raid Ipswich attempted and it was not until their 11th set and second completed set, Ipswich went in from some quick hands and Wade Watson dived over in the corner. Kicking into a strong breeze, Tim McIllwain’s conversion fell just short. More dropped ball followed and to the Jets credit, held off many Burleigh raids at their line and looked to be going into the half down by four and with the wind in the second half. A 20m re-start with a minute before half time went horribly wrong as Peter Poppi attempted to kick the ball out from the tap, into the breeze and the ball sailed in field as long as it was in the air. Burleigh capitalized on a crucial error and Casey Lyons crashed over for his second try. Marty Paulsen landed the sideline conversion and the Bears led 14-4 at halftime.
The second half went from bad to worse for the Jets, continual drop ball and pushed passes led to an onslaught of Burleigh possession and tries. Jack MacGougan scored a hat trick and never looked like being caught when his was into some space. Ryan Wilson followed some neat ball movement to claim a try for the Bears. Both teams blew plenty of chances, but none more than the Jets, whose completion rate read like a horror story. Burleigh played the simple game and held onto possession at crucial times and consequently ran away with the game. Best for Burleigh were Brendan Hoare, Ryan Wilson, Jack MacGougan and Marty Paulson. Ipswich forward pack did well all day with the amount of defence required and Semita Puaavase, Foaga Fuimaona and Mananui Te Heu Heu were the best for the Jets.
Scrums                Burleigh 9          Ipswich 10
Penalties             Burleigh 11        Ipswich 7
Completion Rates:
First Half             Burleigh              8/16
                             Ipswich                3/16
Second Half       Burleigh              9/18
                             Ipswich                1/11

Aspley 54 (Joel Moon 3, Chris Minehan 2, Alex Tallon 2, Pat McPherson, Chris Bella, Josh Costello tries, Alex Tallon 7 goals) def Sunshine Coast 22 (Mark Page, Ben Harney, Jason Wardrop, Bevan Fechner tries, Ben Whiddon 3 goals)
The Sunshine Coast side really took it to their more fancied rivals early and only trailed 16-10 at half-time before the visitors hit their straps in the second half to run away to a 54-22 win. Five-eight Joel Moon picked up a hat-trick, and Alex Tallon, playing in the unfamiliar positions of wing and hooker picked up a double and kicked 7 goals for a 22 point haul.